I have a new favourite low Syn dish and there’s no sign of a starchy carb in site, making it an ideal meal when sticking to the Slimming World Extra Easy SP (EESP) plan. I am dedicating this post to my good friend Kim Howells who requested I put it on the blog!
This hearty dish is a perfect winter warmer, one for all the family and amazingly low on Syns, if following Slimming World. There’s no need for heavy carbs like pasta and potatoes and therefore is a great meal option if you’re following the Club’s EESP plan.
For this recipe I used the low fat mini meatballs (pack of 20 and only 1/2 Syn each) from Muscle Food – if you haven’t checked these guys, you should!
I’m not sponsored by Muscle Food, but have been using them for years. The quality and size of portions are so generous compared to the supermarkets, it’s cheaper too and they deliver to your door! If you decide to give them a try, use my referral code DM401176 and they’ll add in some FREE MEAT!
I tweaked the meatball and ratatouille recipe from the Slimming World EESP plan, to use up what I had in the fridge/cupboard and to add some more speed vegetables to hopefully boost my weight-loss this week.
This week I am trying to follow the EESP plan to limit potential weight gain after I fell off the wagon last weekend (read my blog post for tips on getting back on track). I will let you know how switching plans works out for me at the end of the week.
I also choose to make this dish as a bake and used my second (you get two when pregnant on Slimming World) Healthy Extra A (HEX) portion for the cheese. I opted for two types of cheese – 1/2 (35g) of lighter mozzarella and 1/2 (20g) of lighter cheddar.
So, if you’re looking for inspiration while following the Slimming World EESP plan, or just fancy a filling and tasty twist on a classic for the whole family to enjoy, I can highly recommend this meatball ratatouille bake – you won’t be disappointed!
- Fry Light low calorie cooking spray
- 4 spring onions
- Generous handful of spinach
- Meatballs (I used Muscle Food’s less than 5% fat, pack of 20)
- 1 tsp. dried mixed herbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1 small yellow pepper
- 1 small courgette (I didn’t have any)
- 1 baby aubergine
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g can chopped tomatoes with garlic
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
- Pre-heat a fan oven to 200c.
- Chop all the vegetables into small chunks/slices.
- Spray a casserole dish with Fry Light. Put in the meatballs and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the sauce. Peel the onion and chop finely. Halve and de-seed the pepper and chop finely. Trim the courgette and aubergine and chop finely. Place in a saucepan along with the bay leaf and chopped tomatoes. Season well, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes until tender. Set aside.
- Grate any cheddar and chopped the mozzarella (I did half and half).
- Remove the dish from the oven. Place the spinach on the bottom of the dish and layer the chopped spring onions on top, and replace the meatballs on top. Pour over the sauce and sprinkle/layer on the cheese(s).
- Place in the oven for a further 20-25 minutes until the cheese is golden brown.
- Serve with a side of tender-steam broccoli for extra speed vegetables.
Share the love!
If you try this recipe, leave a comment below or tag me in your creations on Instagram @bloodsweatchias #bloodsweatchias. And, if you haven’t seen already, I am currently running a giveaway on there for a chance to win my Slimming World Survival Kit!!!
Subscribe to my blog for email alerts on more Slimming World friendly recipes, to hear about my personal journey and for tips on how to eat, move, laugh more.