Lover or hater, porridge it’s a great way to boost your protein intake, given it has the highest protein content of all the cereals, so park those sugary flakes!
Porridge is an ideal breakfast choice for slimmers – fibre rich foods are typically low in calories, but are also quite filling, which helps to reduce food intake when dieting. Plus, there is infinite ways to adapt porridge, so you’re bound to find a combination you like.
Pease porridge hot,
Pease porridge cold,
Pease porridge in the pot,
Nine days old.
Some like it hot,
Some like it cold,
Some like it in the pot,
Nine days old.
Source: Pease Porridge by Mother Goose
Porridge is a great way to warm you up on a cold morning, but also perfect for providing you with enough energy for the first half of the day. Porridge helps stabilise blood sugars, so you’re less likely to reach for a mid-morning snack!
This morning I had a personal training session at The Barbell Training Complex (I’ll post about my experience soon!) to help with strength training, so what better way to prepare for my workout than with a bowl of protein packed porridge?
This bowl of porridge contains 428 calories and is 6 Syns on Slimming World (SW). I tend to use my Syn allowance for adding good fats to my diet like nuts, avocados etc. rather than sweets or chocolate, but if you’d prefer to make this bowl for less, simply leave out or reduce the ingredients with Syn allocations.
Nutty Apple And Raisin Protein Porridge Recipe
- 40g of preferred oats (I use Flahavans quick oats) HEX B allowance or 7 Syns
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or milk) part of HEX A
- 1 grated apple (I used a gala red apple) 0 Syns as we don’t cook it!
- 1 mini box of raisins for 2 Syns
- 1 tsp. honey for 1 Syn
- 3 hazelnuts, chopped for 1 Syn
- 3 almonds, chopped for 1 Syn
- 1 tsp. cinnamon 0 Syns
- 1 tsp. Linwoods’ flaxseed, sunflower and pumpkin seed for 1 Syn
- Grate the apple and chopped the nuts and set aside.
- Put the oats and cinnamon in a pan and toast.
- Add the milk and cook until you get the desired consistency.
- Remove from the hit and stir in the grated apple, raisins and flaxseed mix.
- Top with chopped nuts and drizzle the honey.
If you give this recipe a go, please do leave a comment on this blog post or tag me on Instagram @bloodsweatchias #bloodsweatchias
Subscribe to my blog for email alerts on Slimming World friendly recipes, to hear about my personal journey and for more tips on how to eat, move, laugh more.
Subscribe to this blog via email for alerts on more Slimming World friendly tips, recipes and giveaways and to hear about my personal journey.